I’ve been traveling this month so I haven’t been at my apartment since August. As much as I love to be on the go sometimes, I do miss sitting down at my vanity and having all of my makeup in front of me. Mainly because I’m a slight makeup hoarder and getting ready is one of my favorite parts of the day. Who else loves getting ready in the morning? I’m starting to become a morning person as I get older – very strange.
Here’s what’s in my makeup bag currently (minus all skincare + brushes) and what I’ve been using for this entire month with some mini reviews:
1. Covergirl Ready, Set Gorgeous Foundation: I’m still trying to finish this foundation that I’ve had for a quite a few months now. I don’t use much each time so it’s been hard to finish off but I have to say I still love it and will miss using it. However, I do like trying new things which is why I have a second foundation in my bag (see below). I love any kind of easy packaging like this for traveling (especially if it’s not glass) and this is a formula that has great coverage and lasting power. It’s so affordable that there’s absolutely no reason for you to not try it!
2. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation: I’m still testing this out and I only allowed myself to use a few times since I still have the Ready, Set Gorgeous foundation to finish. So far, it seems like it is a lighter coverage but still decent. The finish is natural as well. I don’t think the lasting power is as amazing as it claims to be, though. I’ll have to play around with this + a primer next time. As you can see from this post, I skimped on primer when I traveled because it’s not something I swear by.
3. NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer: Something I’ve talked about over and over because it’s so good. It’s magically the exact shade of my skin and covers anything from blemishes to all the veins in my skin because I was blessed with really thin skin. So thank you concealer, for allowing my skin to resemble more of an alive human. Again, it’s incredibly affordable and it’s lasting me forever. And by forever, I don’t mean forever. I promise I throw away makeup before it expires. See my tip below for expiration date info!
4. MAC Paint Pot in Bare Study: My favorite eye primer and eye product to bring while traveling! Not only is it in a cute little pot, it has multiple uses. (It’s rather heavy since it is glass and while I tend to avoid glass while traveling I just can’t pass up this product.) This stuff keeps any eye makeup you put over it in place and it provides the sheerest, prettiest champagne wash of color. So if you’re like me and have eyelids that are prone to getting oily and want to skip the eyeshadow on your trip, this is a winner. Tip: use a patting motion and lightly apply. If you apply too much, it creases.
5. L’Oreal Lineur Intense Liner: The best felt tip eyeliner that’s the blackest black. If you want a Taylor Swift cat eye, here’s your new best friend. Lasts all day without being difficult to remove. Sold, yet?
6. Urban Decay Glide-n Eye Pencil in Smokeout: Because I’m about to use up the liner above, I packed this travel size pencil liner that I equally love but don’t love as much because ugh, sharpeners. Speaking of which, I forgot to pack my sharpener. The reason being because I rarely use pencil liners so I didn’t think to! This stuff is so creamy that you could blend it out with your finger for a smokey eye that’s created without eyeshadow.
7. Revlon Eyelash Curler: It curls my lashes and does the job. There’s nothing particularly special about this one. I’ve had expensive curlers (like this one) and they did seem to fit my eye better but alas, things break/get lost so Revlon it is.
8. Benefit they’re Real! Mascara: I received a free sample of this but I don’t use non-waterproof mascaras. The reason why I brought it with me is sometimes I layer mascaras on top of one another so I figured it could come in handy. So far I’ve only used it once and it smudged so I’ll probably end up throwing it out as it’ll expire before I probably want to give it another go.
9. L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara: This one is an oldie, but a goodie. I used this years and years ago when I was first starting to wear makeup so I figured I would give it another go. I just finished up my last mascara (this one) so this one is brand spanking new.
10. NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder: I’ve recently been into filling in my eyebrows with a powder and fine brush and while it’s time consuming, I like the control that I get and how much more natural it looks than some other products I’ve used. The two shades are handy to mix together and although I don’t use the brush included, I do actually use the mini travel friendly spoolie included to brush out my brows. There’s even a wax if you need some extra help.
11. MAC Powder Blush in Margin: If you’ve read my beauty posts before, you know that Margin is a long beloved blush of mine. It’s very similar to NARS Orgasm with less chunky glitter and more frost. It looks good on all skintones!
12. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder: Quite possibly the worst packaging of any powder I’ve used but it does a pretty good job. I am anxious to try the next one though! I’ve hit pan so hopefully I finish this one soon. I’m really into finishing makeup these days – I get this strange sense of accomplishment heh.
That’s a wrap! I think I did pretty good and packed quite minimally yet it’s everything that I feel I truly need. You can probably spot all of these somewhere in my past favorites posts and that’s because I usually tend to travel with items that I know will do the job. Over a year ago, I shared what I traveled with but included the skincare/pampering stuff. Check that out here.
Tips that help me pack my makeup:
– I go through my makeup routine mentally as I put items in my makeup bag so that I never forget an item.
– I try to pack items that I either want to use up or think I can finish while traveling so that I can just throw it away when I’m ready to come back. I like to think of these near empty items as travel size :) (PS. Did you know that makeup expires too? On the bottom or back of your makeup packaging, check for the icon with a package with a half open lid. Inside or beside the icon will be a number followed by an M such as 18M which means that it’s good for 18 months. The more you know!)
– Pack multi-purpose items or simply skip some items. For example, I usually skip eyeshadow when I’m traveling unless there will be a special event or something to dress up for.
I can’t believe Fall is starting soon and that I’m starting my senior year very soon. I’m not the biggest fan of studying for tests, group projects, etc. but I am ready to see my friends at school more! Also, after not having access to a gym all summer, I’m actually looking forward to being able to work out. I used to never be into working out but last year I started loving cardio and feeling accomplished for actually dragging myself to the gym. This year, I’m challenging myself to work out every other day (at least on the weekdays for starters) and I plan on being more disciplined about it. Who knows what will happen :) I’m not expecting to have a six pack any time soon (or ever, let’s be real) but toning up and hopefully gaining some strength in my arms is definitely in the books. (I have embarrassingly weak arms…)
Thanks for catching up with me if you take the time to read these rambles that I’ve been adding to some blog posts recently! I’m not sure if people actually do read these but I know what I like to read, so that inspires me to be the type of blogger that I like to follow. Happy Monday and last day of summer!