Every month in 2015 has just been better than the last and passed by quicker than the last. As predicted, in my first favorites post of the year, I often feel like I am always writing one of these posts due to how fast the month seems to escape. This month is no different than the rest in that I have many favorites and it was easy to compile my April favorites.
1. Rocksbox jewelry* – You all know how much I love the subscription jewelry service, Rocksbox, which I reviewed here. (My code is valid for a free month – you can use this code for the next few months because my friends at Rocksbox are so sweet! Use ‘atinycupofcakexoxo’ at checkout.) This past month I’ve been buying a bunch of jewelry from the service and while I love each piece, there are a few standouts that are in my daily essentials. First off, the Sophie Harper Pavé Circle and Bar pendants are my new favorite pieces to layer on top of each other. I love simple, dainty pieces of jewelry and anything gold with a bit of sparkle is right up my alley. Unfortunately Sophia Harper doesn’t have her own website so signing up for Rocksbox is a fantastic way to try her jewelry. My other favorite is the Gorjana Taner cuff in gold (available here without signing up for Rocksbox). I love how simple and small it is, the hammered texture, and that it’s adjustable because I have small wrists and often can’t wear bracelets. This bracelet is so cute that I ended up buying two to stack! (Anyone else do this? I have four of the same shirt in different colors…)
2. Contour and Blush Palette – (Excuse the iPhone picture – this is from when it was untouched and new!) As you would expect from an international eBay seller, I received my palette in over two weeks but for the price (I can no longer find the seller I bought mine from but it was less than $10!), I’m thoroughly impressed with the product. Each pan is huge and it will take me a long time to hit pan. Every color is very pigmented, especially the blushes. I only wish this was more travel friendly and that the highlight shades were not matte. The powder makes the palette turn dirty easily but it’s easy to wipe up between uses. I highly recommend this for a budget friendly contour, highlight, and blush kit! (P.S. my favorite contouring brush is in this kit that has 4 brushes for under $20!)
3. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge – I’m surprised I didn’t mention this one sooner because I picked this up from Ulta back in September! I have plenty of makeup brushes so this one was just thrown into the rotation of my makeup routine but only until the past few months have I been using it religiously. I use this whether I’m using a BB cream or my favorite liquid foundation and it blends everything quickly and flawlessly. Time is precious and with this little guy, doing the base of your makeup has never been easier. Tip: Run this under water and squeeze the water out a few times while letting it absorb more water before squeezing it well into a towel right before you apply makeup. This prevents it from absorbing your makeup and helps the application from being cakey. Also, this is $5.99 and works just as well as a Beauty Blender. (If you hate waiting for makeup brushes to dry after you wash them, this one doesn’t require any drying time! Score!)
4. Cynthia Rowley Leather Loafers – The shoes that I wore in this blog post have been constantly worn all month thanks to some nicer Seattle weather. If you’ve never worn all leather shoes before, you need to find yourself a pair because it feels like you’re walking on clouds. The leather is buttery soft and I like that these are off-white so that they can get a little dirty. Unfortunately, Cynthia Rowley seems to no longer make shoes anymore but these are some alternatives I found under $100 – and Clarks is notorious for making comfortable shoes. White shoes are versatile, just like white jeans, and you definitely need a pair in your life. My other white shoe staple is something that everyone seems to own already.
5. Gilmore Girls – Okay, don’t laugh, but I’ve been hooked to Gilmore Girls for months and finally finished watching it this month. It’s a good break from the usual dramatic, often very cynical shows that I tend to watch because it’s lighthearted and fit for an audience much younger than me. If your mom is your best friend, like mine is, this is also another great show to watch because it’s a definite feel-good show on Netflix :)
6. Smoothies – Fun fact, I’ve been allergic to all types of fruits for years now. I’m not sure what the crazy science behind this is but recently I’ve been able to drink fruit smoothies with certain fruits and I’ve been on a major kick! My parents gave me this easy to use blender and it’s perfect because it’s easy to wash, super affordable, and the perfect size for someone who lives alone. My usual smoothie concoction is frozen strawberries, pineapple, and mango with a fresh banana and rice milk. I’m going to start adding greens soon and I would love to hear any of your smoothie recipes!
7. White Marble iPhone Case* – I’m on a marble kick lately but so is everyone else, at least that’s the vibe I get from scrolling through my Instagram feed. I’ve been loving a clear phone case because my gold iPhone is pretty by itself but this white marble is also a nice alternative! I don’t currently have the selfie stick that Casetify also sent (I think my boyfriend is secretly enjoying this instead of just having forgotten to bring it to me) but they also make a great selfie stick if that’s your thing ;) You can customize your phone case using your Instagram or Facebook pictures which is also a fun idea – but Casetify also has a lot of cute premade ones. (A quick Amazon search led me to find this other marble alternative for under $10!)
*Special thanks to Rocksbox for working with me and offering my readers a free month & Casetify for sending me a gift card to their website. As always, all opinions are my own.